Your Tax Refund FAQs Answered by a Toronto Tax Advisor
As a Toronto tax advisor, we know that clients often have the same queries and concerns about tax refunds. To help you understand more about how tax refunds work and how long the process typically takes, here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions we receive.
Who Can Claim Tax Refunds in Canada?
If you’re unsure how to properly calculate your taxes, or you’re curious how much of a refund you may be entitled to, contact us for help.
How Long Does It Take to Process My Refund?
- Within two weeks if you file online
- Within eight weeks if you file a paper return
Can I Check My Refund Status?
You can check online through the CRA, or you can give them a call.
Can I Adjust My Refund?
You can adjust your refund by first adjusting your tax return. You can adjust returns for the past 10 years. Once you get your notice of assessment, you can amend whatever lines you need to change.
How Can I Speed Up My Tax Refund?
- File online over paper, where possible
- Have all the documents you need for credits and deductions
- Ask us for help — you don’t need to struggle with your tax applications alone.
Why Didn't I Receive My Refund?
- It’s a very small refund — for example, $2;
- You have certain proprietorship or partnership returns still to make;
- You already owe, or will shortly owe, a balance; or
- You have certain other debts outstanding.
Let Us Help You With Your Tax Returns
Whether you’re struggling with tax filing or you need help calculating your refund, we are here to help. At Leonard Tam Professional Corporation, we’ve been supporting people with all their tax and administrative needs for over 25 years. As Toronto tax advisors, we are perfectly placed to advise you on every Canadian tax issue that may affect you. For a free consultation, sign up or contact us today.